Sunday, July 7, 2013

why i can't dance Indonesian traditional dance

I dance Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Jive and last but not least, Argentine Tango. But I can't dance traditional Indonesian dance. Not even one. Why?

For the last 11 days, I was participating in a leadership program, which allows me to explore Indonesian dance. We were suppose to perform lots of Indonesian dance, and that got me thinking why i haven't learn any Indonesian dance. My friends perform Indonesian dance in the inauguration night: Saman from Aceh, Indang from Minangkabau, and the most awesome one is Mask Dance from Cirebon. Oh Dayak dance is also super awesome. It follows the moves and sounds of the Hornbill bird which is very important animal in their cultural identity. I was also at first, participating in a simple Indonesian dance coreography performance for the closing session. I finally decided not to participate as main dancer in that performance anymore, mainly because the program is quite demanding and I feel that the practice would be too exhausting for me.

When I was given the moves and coreography, after 2 or 3 tries, I can execute it very very well. Seriously. Thanks to the Latin dance I'm already good at, my moves was excellent and smooth (even though my moves was salsa-like. Can you imagine my salsa hips during Papua dancing?!). And it's a coreographed dancing, so you just have to remember the moves. And so yes, the difference between Salsa/Tango with Indonesian dancing is that: Salsa/Tango has basic moves that you have to remember but executed according to the music and personal expression, while Indonesian dancing is coreographed.

So maybe that's why it doesn't seem so exciting for me. Because, you don't have to "conquer" a dancing logic (yes Salsa and Tango steps, required lots of logic), but you just have to "know the moves" (mind you, the moves can be very challenging and beautiful and exciting to conquer too). But, then it got me thinking again. Do you realize why it is coreographed in a precise way? Because, it is danced together. A group of dancer must execute the dance in a harmonious way (except for some solo dancing, or group dancing which can be performed solo). You can clearly see this in Saman and Indang dance of course.

Yes, Indonesian has a very strong communal and togetherness spirit. HAHA so that's why! I am very individualist and I generally hate people, so I don't like communal dancing. I am selfish. Hahahaa.

But another excuse that I have and another characteristic is that, almost all Indonesian dance is a performance dancing, while Salsa/Tango is a social dance (even though it can be made as a performance).

But seriously, I really do want to learn Indonesian dance. The problem is that I have limited time and money and therefore I have to decide priority. Based on purely technical and aestethic preference, I chose Salsa/Tango. If I have all the time in the world and can do anything with it, dancing is all I would be doing :)

2 comments:

  1. Naaaah... you were just exposed to "staged" Indonesian dances. Almost everywhere societies have stage/group dances and "socializing"/ 1 on 1 dances, and in Indonesian context these would be: jaipong, tayub, gandrung, even legong in Bali are more similar to tango and salsa.

    So yes, choose the one you fit the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, the places where the social dance happens is not where I was/am!

    ReplyDelete